If you're someone who loves running, chances are you're already familiar with the energizing benefits of caffeine. Whether it's a morning cup of coffee or a midday energy drink, caffeine can give you the boost you need to power through your workouts.
But did you know that there are specific ways caffeine can benefit your running performance? As fellow runners at Atlin Mountain Coffee Roasters, we've noticed firsthand the positive effects of caffeine on our workouts. And we'd like to let you in on some of the secrets.
For starters, caffeine can help improve your endurance by increasing your ability to burn fat for fuel. This means that you'll be able to run longer and harder without hitting that infamous "wall" that can leave you feeling drained and exhausted.
Caffeine can also help improve your focus and mental clarity, which comes in handy during long runs or races where you need to stay engaged and alert.
And let's not forget about the extra motivation that caffeine can provide. When you're feeling tired or sluggish, a caffeine boost can give you that much-needed kick in the pants to get out and tackle your workout with gusto.
Of course, we're not saying that you should load up on caffeine before every run (moderation is key). But if you're looking for a little extra edge, caffeine is definitely worth considering.
So the next time you're gearing up for a run, consider reaching for a cup of coffee or tea. Who knows, it might just help you power through that next race and leave your competition in the dust.
And if you're looking for some high-quality coffee to help fuel your runs (and your life), be sure to check out our website. We're runners too, and we know the importance of a good cup of joe to jumpstart your day. Plus, our beans are wood fire roasted to perfection for a smooth, delicious flavour that will have you coming back for more.
Okay, okay, we know we sound like an infomercial now. But seriously, give us a shot (pun intended). You won't be disappointed. And maybe, just maybe, our coffee will help you run your next PB.
Now if you'll excuse us, we're off to lace up our running shoes and hit the trails. As always, there's coffee waiting for us at the finish line. Cheers to a great run!
Oh, almost forgot, here is a great recipe for homemade energy gel, the caffeinated kind of course!
here's a recipe for a homemade energy gel with coffee that you can use when running:
- 1 packet of unflavored gelatin
- ¾ cup cold black coffee (brewed and chilled)
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
1. In a bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over a ½ cup of the chilled black coffee, mix and set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, mix the remaining ¼ cup of black coffee, honey or maple syrup, chia seeds, vanilla extract, and salt.
3. Heat the mixture on low heat, stirring continuously, until all ingredients are dissolved.
4. Pour the mixture into the bowl with the gelatin mixture.
5. Whisk constantly for about a minute, until the gelatin is fully dissolved.
6. Pour the mixture into a squeeze bottle (or small resealable container).
7. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes until the gel sets.
8. Squeeze the gel in your mouth when you need a boost of energy during your run.
This recipe makes a gel that's high in caffeine and carbohydrates, which are both great for providing energy and focus when running. Additionally, the chia seeds provide fiber, which helps with digestion, and the honey or maple syrup provides a quick source of energy.
Feel free to adjust the amount of caffeine (using more or less coffee) or sweetness (using more or less honey/maple syrup) to suit your personal taste and needs.